Monday, August 11, 2008

BATMAN - Batman Begins, 2005



Again - those big-action Hollywood superhero films rarely catch my eye. I didn't even know that this film had come out until I started paying more attention.

This glossy, full-of-attitude and darkness Batman franchise is extremely stylish, and I like the way we're taught to really think about Bruce Wayne as a human, and the implications of his crime-fighting. That line of thinking is really interesting, and an asset to the film. 

That said, I really didn't like Batman Begins - not as a film on its own and especially not after having seen The Dark Knight. I thought that there was far too much focus on his strange Martial Arts fight training, and that plotline was weird - plus Liam Neeson looked like a catfish. There wasn't enough focus on Bruce Wayne's and Rachael's adult relationship, and also not enough focus on the public reaction to his superhero persona. I thought the crime plan was weird and not engaging. The shining beacon of light was of course Cillian Murphy.

[Photo from http://v4.valkiria.net/skin/film/pic/misc_img/b_batman_begins.jpg]

No comments: