Thursday, August 14, 2008

Shattered Glass, 2003




Another Blockbuster rental [yuck, I know, but the library that I went to sucked big time, so when I spotted Blockbuster in that suburban stripmall, it was like a beautiful water fountain mirage in the desert].

I've been wanting to see Shattered Glass since it came out. I was in a journalism class and just cultivating my passion for the medium [oh okay]. I was reintroduced to the idea, I suppose, freshman year of college in a media class, where we talked about journalism scandals.

Stephen Glass was a young journalist who wrote mainly for The New Republic. [I was also interested in this movie because I have a friend who currently works at the magazine]. His stories were seemingly almost too good to be true- turns out they were.

The film chronicles the deception by Glass and skims the service of his motives. It shows him in the editorial meetings, charming his co-workers with his colorful story pitches. It's sort of confusing, though, because it shows realizations of the stories as he tells them. I don't mean to spoil it for you, but his stories are NOT REAL. But they show them happening. It's confusing, mostly because we don't really learn Glass's motives for the whole thing. Then again, Glass apparently hasn't been willing to explain why he's done either, even five years later.

Hayden Christensen portrays Glass. I was hesitant because of the way my peers lament the actor, claiming that he ruined Star Wars. But I think he did a good job of playing a man that was so in need of peer-approval and success. Glass is busy working at TNR but applies to and attends law school at Georgetown. He constantly asks his boss and co-workers if they are "mad" at him. Though Glass doesn't explain his full intentions after the fact, you can understand how something like this happens.

Also I think this is the first film of modern cool-girl fashion icon Chloe Sevigny. I like her. Also Peter Saarsgard is pretty cool, though I didn't get the praise from the back of the DVD case [loads of awards], but then again I liked him more then I did in Garden State.

Overall a worthwhile film, especially if you're interested in a glimpse inside of the magazine world, or interested in people who ... like to make things up?

[Photo from http://thecia.com.au/reviews/s/images/shattered-glass-poster-0.jpg]

No comments: