Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Dreamers, 2003


I'll admit: I've been wanting to see this movie for ages but have been scared. Can I handle the blatant sexuality? The incestuous themes? As of late, I've been slightly obsessed with the portrayal of incest in film [we seek it out and look for the creepiest forms- this doesn't make me strange, does it?]. I found it in Blockbuster and finally decided that I was ready for it.

Verdict? I loved it. For real. The nudity? Only slightly shocking. I did love that it was almost an equal playing field, though. It really bugs me when bare female breasts are basically a mainstay and that almost all those "important" films that I've been schooling myself in feature them. Naked dudes? Not so much. So I am relieved [really?] that I can count both Michael Pitt and Louis Garrel in the "dudes I've seen nude" list that I keep in the back of my mind.

Right, right the movie. It's about these youngsters who get through their difficult lives by being fabulous in Paris and watching a lot of movies. Let's be serious- I can relate because I really mostly only want to watch movies, and I wish that I was doing so in Paris. Done and done.

The incest wasn't as extreme as I was expecting, which is nice, honestly. Though I love the awkward screen incest, it's not exactly comfortable. The cinematography was extremely dreamy [heh] and it was a story I could get down with. Go see it and DON'T BE SCARED.

[image from http://www.trimir.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/C7544-04.jpg]

No comments: