Wednesday, July 30, 2008

CD Store Chronicles

I have yet to talk about music on this blog yet, which is strange because it's one of my most favorite things. Mostly I kind of don't even like talking about it because i feel that my knowledge isn't deep enough. So I'll use this space on the internet to declare: I don't know everything about music! Not even that much. This explains why I'm less interested in the new bands and obsessed with trying to fill in the gaps, constantly trying to learn about bands from earlier years. I'll chronicle my learnings here. If anyone reads this silly thing, feel free to leave any sort of suggestions. Right now I'm very focused on rock music, and that is honestly a shame.

MY TRIP TO SOUNDGARDEN:

I couldn't sleep the other night, because I was pretty stoked on music. I was on last.fm for hours, clicking on the "similar artists" links and writing down bands that I am not familiar with. This forced me to go to my favorite record store, Soundgarden in Baltimore to spend some money that I shouldn't be spending. Here's what I bought:

-Lou Reed - Transformer -- Obviously "Walk on the Wild Side" is a classic, but I'm not entirely crazy about this one. Mostly probably because I incorrectly thought that there was a song from The Squid and the Whale on here - oops.

-Television - Adventure -- We were in Alto Cinco late night a week or so ago and they were playing Television. I didn't know them and it sounded so great, I vowed to learn. Turns out Alison didn't do her research and this is NOT their seminal album. Ah well. It's not bad. Needs more listens.

-Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti -- The Doldrums -- Ariel Pink is my latest obsession. I discovered him while looking at some dude's myspace. He had a song on that player thing and it was unlike anything I'd ever heard. Pink is apparently a one-man show? Apparently the drum sounds are all made with Pink's mouth? Innovation, people! I can't get enough of this music. It's got this way of sounding retro yet completely fresh. I honestly thought this was made at least ten years ago. Not quite, try three. Either way, I love it. ALSO! He is playing at Sonar on Saturday and I plan to be in attendance. I can't believe it because Tickley Feather is also playing. I can't believe I love this weirdo lo-fi sound.. but I can't stop listening.

Wait, wait:
I bought some 7". I'm trying to feel out this whole "having a record player thing." I've been making a list of bands whom would make a worthy addition to my collection, but I still don't quite understand the whole thing yet. What is the appeal of 7" and why am I buying so many? I bought a No Age disc as well as a Black Moth Super Rainbow one. I like them because they are cheap, why do you like them?

No comments: